Washington Dental Assistant Schools and Salary Guide

Search Dental Assistant Programs

Get information on Dental Assistant programs by entering your zip code and request enrollment information.

Sponsored Search
Washington map

Two primary types of dental assistants in Washington include the Registered Dental Assistants and the Expanded Function Dental Assistants.

Make sure you know what schools provide the training you need for your desired DA position.

Search Dental Assistant Programs

Get information on Dental Assistant programs by entering your zip code and request enrollment information.

Sponsored Listings

Licensing Requirements To Become a Dental Assistant in Washington

The state of Washington requires all dental assistants to be registered, but WA does not have any licensing requirements.

You can find more information about the specific Washington DA registration requirements on the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) website.

For now, remember that you need about 200 hours’ worth of hands-on experience in a dental office setting.

You must acquire this before you become certified as a Registered Dental Assistant. (RDA).

American Dental Association’s Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) must approve of training content that you enroll in, so you have the right information before taking your certification exam.

Additional requirements pertain to someone who wants to become an Expanded Functions Dental Assistant (EFDA), which you can also find on the DANB website.

Check out the American Dental Association (ADA) too. The ADA provides information about approved certificate programs for WA dental assistants and EFDAs.

5 Dental Assistant Schools Washington

1. UEI

UEI Logo

The UEI Dental Assistant Training Program covers both administrative and clinical aspects of dentistry.

For instance, you will learn how to schedule appointments, update patient records and assist with fillings, root canals, extractions, and cleaning, or general chairside and preventative dentistry.

Real-world on-the-job training is also included.

In addition, you may experience restorative dentistry for the first time unless you took some DA classes in previous years.

You can complete this 170-hour training program in as little time as 10 months.

It also includes an introduction to radiology, by the way, which you need for X-rays.

2. Bates Technical College

Bates Technical College Logo

Bates Technical College offers a dental assisting program that will prepare you for a career as a chairside dental assistant, dental office manager, or infection control specialist.

Your trainers abide by the standards set by the American Dental Association when teaching you, and this school has received accreditation from CODA.

After completion of this coursework, you should be ready to take the Dental Assisting National Board examination to earn nationally recognized DA credentials.

3. Clover Park Technical College (CPTC)

Clover Park Technical College (CPTC) Logo

The CPTC Dental Assistant program will equip you for both works in the front-end part of a dental office with the hands-on portion of taking care of patients.

ADA has accredited this training track, which takes five quarters (about a year and a half).

Throughout this coursework, you will prepare for taking the next DANB certification exam that you qualify for, which consists of three components total.

This instruction also includes general classes, such as English Composition, Psychology, or Sociology.

4. Renton Technical College (RTC)

Renton Technical College (RTC) Logo

The RTC offers courses that fulfill your requirements for being a certified dental assistant in the state of Washington.

This five-quarter coursework will give you confidence that you can perform procedures safely, communicate effectively with patients, and remain ethically accountable.

Your RTC education will also prepare you for your DANB certification exam.

In addition, these classes will teach you to correct chairside assisting, and clinical, laboratory, and radiology methods.

Moreover, this training will send you on your way to fulfill Washington’s requirements for becoming an Expanded Functions Dental Assistant (EFDA).

5. Seattle Central College

Seattle Central College Logo

The Dental Assisting Certificate of Completion program at Seattle Central College students for entry-level work in a dentist’s office.

This instruction includes both classroom and real-life practice.

High school students can take dental assisting courses through the college’s multiple pathways programs.

After completing the certificate program, you can apply to the Expanded Function Dental Auxiliary Program.

This EFDA coursework prepares you to perform fillings and create tooth impressions under dental supervision.

If you’re way past graduating from high school, there’s still a place for you here if you meet state requirements too.

Dental Assistant Schools in Washington – Summary Table

Top 5 Schools in Washington

School NameAddress
UEI1415 E 72nd St, Tacoma, WA 98404
Bates Technical College1101 S Yakima Ave, Tacoma, WA 98405
Clover Park Technical College (CPTC)4500 Steilacoom Blvd SW, Lakewood, WA 98499
Renton Technical College (RTC)3000 NE 4th St, Renton, WA 98056
Seattle Central College1701 Broadway, Seattle, WA 98122


An April 2022 report disclosed that a Washington Dental Assistant can make an average of $43,584 per year.

The annual WA salary ranges from $38,656 to $48,360.

If you take advanced certificates and become an EFDA, you could earn at least $5,000-$10,000 more than this.

Cities where you might find jobs include Seattle, Aberdeen, Bellevue, Burien, or Federal Way.

Annual Salary Range:

Average Salary of Dental Assistants in Washington

City NameSalary
Federal Way$43,275
* Salary information last updated 2024

Regional Salary in Washington

RegionEmployedAvg. Annual SalaryAvg. Hourly PayTop 10% Annual SalaryBottom 10% Annual Salary
Bellingham, WA290$46,990$22.59$57,050$37,230
Bremerton-Silverdale, WA450$48,950$23.54$56,780$35,730
Kennewick-Richland, WA480$49,080$23.6$58,110$37,510
Longview, WA160$47,320$22.75$56,800$36,860
Mount Vernon-Anacortes, WA200$48,250$23.2$56,120$38,310
Olympia-Tumwater, WA470$50,100$24.09$58,040$37,750
Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA6,050$53,330$25.64$63,550$37,180
Spokane-Spokane Valley, WA970$44,890$21.58$50,450$36,670
Walla Walla, WA70$44,460$21.37$54,080$36,730
Wenatchee, WA190$46,900$22.55$55,940$37,410
Yakima, WA440$43,520$20.92$55,370$32,180
* Salary information based on the May 2022 Occupational Employment Statistics (OES) Survey for Dental Assistants, OCC Code 31-9091, BLS.
* Employment conditions in your area may vary.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who does a WA dental assistant work for?

You can work as a DA for a general or pediatric dentist, orthodontist, or oral surgeon.

Periodontics and endodontic clinics also could use your help.

During your training, you might also take in patients onsite at your local college campus.

How much does Washington Dental Assistant licensing cost?

Fees start at $40.

Renewal is $21, and additional fees may apply.

This does not include the exam, which may cost you about $450, depending on which certification you are seeking, which usually comes from the DANB.

What tasks are Registered Dental Assistants (RDAs) allowed to perform?

They can perform tasks, such as making teeth impressions or taking digital teeth scans, under close dentist supervision.

They also can perform any function that does not require invasive methods, such as using a drill.

In addition, an RDA can inspect the mouth and teeth without giving a diagnosis.

Moreover, they can administer fluoride treatment or place and remove a rubber dam, but again, only when supervised.

What tasks are EFDAs allowed to perform?

An EFDA usually requires less supervision than an RDA when performing some of the same tasks.

This includes when taking X-rays, applying seals, or administering fluoride treatments.

Unlike an RDA, an EFDA can set and adjust restorative elements, but restorations are some duties that require close dentist supervision.

How long does WA Dental Assistant Training Take?

The Entry-Level Dental Assistant position takes about a year to a year and a half to train.

The average amount of time spent in school equals three semesters or five quarters.

An associate degree would take you two years.

Search Programs