Being a dog stylist can be a rewarding occupation especially for those who love animals.
Read on if you want to become a dog groomer in Hawaii, as this guide will reveal the steps you must follow!
- Dog Groomer Job Description and Duties in Hawaii
- Dog Groomer Job Requirements in Hawaii
- Dog Groomers’ Education and Certification in Hawaii
- Dog Groomers’ Employment and Salary in Hawaii
- Additional Information for Dog Groomers in Hawaii
Dog Groomer Job Description and Duties in Hawaii
Pet stylists need to complete the services offered by the salon or establishment they work for.
These are the main services seen across most pet salons:
- Cutting, clipping, and styling a dog’s coat
- Bathing dogs
- Clipping a dog’s nails
- Interacting with dog owners
- Knowing the hygienic care for each dog breed
- Teeth brushing
- Knowing how to restrain animals
- Calming the dogs
- Identify problem areas
Here are some extra job responsibilities that are not often mentioned in the job’s description:
- Cleaning and maintenance of your workplace
- Cleaning and maintaining your tools
- Knowing which tools to use for what task
- Safely operating the tools
- Staying updated with styling trends
- Staying informed on the industry changes
Dog Groomer Job Requirements in Hawaii
It’s not unheard of to have to meet some requirements when applying for a job.
Loving animals and having some experience in working or handling them is usually an advantage for pet groomers.
However, an important aspect of the job is handling the animals.
This requires the ability to use both hands, to lift a considerable weight, as well as standing for several hours at a time.
Being a patient and a calm person is also a plus for candidates.
You might also be asked for:
- Good communication skills
- Ability to speak another language
- Being detail-oriented
Dog Groomers’ Education and Certification in Hawaii
In Hawai’i, you’re not required to obtain a license to work as a pet stylist.
Completing a pet grooming certification program will only increase your chances of getting hired and earn more.
Dog Groomers’ Education
Luckily, the pet grooming certification program can be easily completed online as well.
You might have to arrange for the practice hours to be completed at any of the facilities that may employ you later on.
Your training costs under $1000, and if you manage to pay the fee in one go, you may even receive a discount.
Almost no program lasts for longer than two months, meaning you can start working rather immediately.
As you can see from the list below, the programs focus on grooming dogs:
- Introduction to Pet Grooming
- Introduction to Dogs and Cats
- Pre-Grooming Procedures
- Dog Grooming, Part 1
- Dog Grooming, Part 2
- Dog Grooming, Part 3
- Dog Personalities and Behavior
- Cat Grooming
- Business Practices
Cats are brought to many establishments dedicated to pets, therefore it is important to know the cat-specific procedures.
If you plan on starting a related business, the class included will prove very useful.
Dog Groomers’ Certification
Of course, to obtain the certificate you need to pass an exam.
The exam will be different as it is based on the institution offering the training course.
You will have to pass a practice part, not just theory.
Those who want to open a pet grooming salon will have to pass the jurisprudence exam as well.
Individuals can also attend various workshops to improve their skills in grooming specific breeds.
They will usually obtain further diplomas from these intense classes.
Dog Groomers’ Employment and Salary in Hawaii
You probably want to know where can you work as a dog groomer in the State of Hawai’i.
These are the major facilities needing qualified personnel:
- Dog rescues
- Veterinary clinics
- Pet grooming salons
- Pet shops
- Dog daycare centers
Of course, your salary will depend on many different factors.
These include your experience, specializations, certifications, and location.Annual Salary Range:
Average Salary of Dog Groomers in Hawaii
Regional Salary in Hawaii
|Avg. Annual Salary
|Avg. Hourly Pay
|Top 10% Annual Salary
|Bottom 10% Annual Salary
|Urban Honolulu, HI
* Employment conditions in your area may vary.
If you choose to groom pets just part-time, you’ll earn much less, but it can supplement another job.
The same can be said if you choose to run a pet grooming salon, though this can be a successful venture, depending on your competition or lack thereof.
Additional Information for Dog Groomers in Hawaii
Since it’s important to stay informed, use the websites of these organizations for the needed information:
- West Hawaii Humane Society
- Hawaiian Humane Society
- Hawaii Island Humane Society
- American Kennel Club (AKC)
- International Professional Groomers, Inc.
- National Dog Groomers Association of America