If you live in Louisiana and want to become a dog groomer, then you can read this guide!
We’ll explain what education you need, where can you get hired, and even show you what the current salary is.
- Dog Groomer Job Description and Duties in Louisiana
- Dog Groomer Job Requirements in Louisiana
- Dog Groomers’ Education and Certification in Louisiana
- Dog Groomers’ Employment and Salary in Louisiana
- Additional Information for Dog Groomers in Louisiana
Dog Groomer Job Description and Duties in Louisiana
Being a stylist for animals and especially dogs, is relatively easy if you like the job.
These are the most common services such a professional offers:
- Cutting, clipping, and styling a dog’s coat
- Bathing dogs
- Clipping a dog’s nails
- Interacting with dog owners
- Knowing the hygienic care for each dog breed
- Teeth brushing
- Knowing how to restrain animals
- Calming the dogs
- Identify problem areas
However, some job-related tasks are not related to the customers:
- Cleaning and maintenance of your workplace
- Cleaning and maintaining your tools
- Knowing which tools to use for what task
- Safely operating the tools
- Staying updated with styling trends
- Staying informed on the industry changes
Depending on the facility employing you, you might also receive other tasks to complete.
Dog Groomer Job Requirements in Louisiana
Now you know what you’re supposed to do during work hours, so let’s see what employers expect of you before hiring you.
Some of the most important traits are being an animal lover and having good communication skills.
These two traits will help you have better relations with the pets and their owners.
Along with these characteristics, patience and empathy are also quite important.
These two personality aspects will ensure you’re gentle when handling the animals especially if they show signs of being in pain.
Being quite strong and able to use your hands is also important for this job.
Standing for a few hours per day is quite the norm in this field, so be prepared for it.
Dog Groomers’ Education and Certification in Louisiana
Generally speaking, a high school diploma, or a GED, is not mandatory for pet groomers in Louisiana.
You’ll appear a better candidate if you do have one of these diplomas.
Dog Groomers’ Education
In Louisiana, you can obtain the pet groomer certificate issued by the National Dog Groomers Association of America (NDGAA).
For this, you have to attend a class that is certified by the NDGAA.
This class can even be a workshop and you can find several classes online as well.
Future dog groomers are expected to learn:
- Introduction to Pet Grooming
- Introduction to Dogs and Cats
- Pre-Grooming Procedures
- Dog Grooming, Part 1
- Dog Grooming, Part 2
- Dog Grooming, Part 3
- Dog Personalities and Behavior
- Cat Grooming
- Business Practices
Dog Groomers’ Certification
Once you complete the training program, you’re expected to pass an exam.
Both your knowledge and skills will be tested.
A business license is needed if you want to operate a pet grooming salon or offer your services as a freelancer.
The Louisiana Secretary of State has further information related to this license.
Make sure you also get informed on the process related to the renewal of your credentials.
Dog Groomers’ Employment and Salary in Louisiana
These are the main employers for dog groomers:
- Dog rescues
- Veterinary clinics
- Pet grooming salons
- Pet shops
- Dog daycare centers
As promised, now it’s time to also mention the average salary in Louisiana’s largest urban areas.Annual Salary Range:
Average Salary of Dog Groomers in Louisiana
Keep in mind that several factors can influence how much you earn:
- Your experience
- Your location
- The number of credentials and diplomas you have
- The type of employment you have
Additional Information for Dog Groomers in Louisiana
The following associations can help you with classes and industry-related news:
- Animal Rescue Foundation of Louisiana
- Humane Society of Louisiana
- Louisiana Animal Control Association
- Louisiana Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
- Louisiana Veterinary Medical Association
- National Association of Louisiana Catahoulas, Inc.
- National Dog Groomers Association of America
- The Delta Humane Society of Louisiana
If you need more help with finding a job in this field, then these associations can also be of help.