There are many reasons why you should be a dog groomer in New York.
This state offers stable careers in the field and high salaries.
But, what do you need to do in order to become a dog groomer?
- Dog Groomer Job Description and Duties in New York
- Dog Groomer Job Requirements in New York
- Dog Groomers’ Education and Certification in New York
- Dog Groomers’ Employment and Salary in New York
- Additional Information for Dog Groomers in New York
Dog Groomer Job Description and Duties in New York
As a dog groomer, you will have to provide grooming services to animals such as dogs and cats.
You will usually several job responsibilities to finish daily, such as:
- Cutting, clipping, and styling a dog’s coat
- Bathing dogs
- Clipping a dog’s nails
- Interacting with dog owners
- Knowing the hygienic care for each dog breed
- Teeth brushing
- Knowing how to restrain animals
- Calming the dogs
- Identify problem areas
Your duties will also include:
- Cleaning and maintenance of your workplace
- Cleaning and maintaining your tools
- Knowing which tools to use for what task
- Safely operating the tools
- Staying updated with styling trends
- Staying informed on the industry changes
Dog Groomer Job Requirements in New York
The most important aspect of being a dog groomer is your love and care for animals, and especially dogs.
But, you will probably need to provide grooming services to other animals as well, like cats.
So, you should know about how different species act and how to make them feel comfortable.
There are several other skills you should have, such as communication skills.
Part of your job will be calming down the animals and making sure they are relaxed.
You should also know how to handle more difficult animals.
It is also important to communicate with the owners and answer their questions.
You should also have a degree of patience and empathy.
Dog Groomers’ Education and Certification in New York
In New York, just like in most of the other states, you don’t need a dog grooming certification.
Even so, the biggest companies in New York want to hire dog groomers who have a certification.
In order to get one, you have to meet some criteria first.
Dog Groomers’ Education
To get the needed certification you need, the first step you have to take is to select a training program.
Then, you can enroll in your desired program, and you will get a diploma when you complete it.
There are some schools in New York that provide accredited dog grooming programs.
In class, you will learn more about the following topics:
- Introduction to Pet Grooming
- Introduction to Dogs and Cats
- Pre-Grooming Procedures
- Dog Grooming, Part 1
- Dog Grooming, Part 2
- Dog Grooming, Part 3
- Dog Personalities and Behavior
- Cat Grooming
- Business Practices
The programs offer a mix of theory and practice, and they will prioritize the hours of practice.
Dog Groomers’ Certification
To get a certification, you must first take an exam.
If you pass this exam, you don’t need any other certification in order to work in a dog facility.
Things will be a little different if you decide to start your own company, and you might need to get a commercial license instead.
To be eligible for it, you must know the laws at the federal and state level.
Dog Groomers’ Employment and Salary in New York
After you pass the dog grooming certification test, you will soon get your dog grooming certification.
So, you can get work at a facility you prefer.
The businesses you can consider working for include:
- Dog rescues
- Veterinary clinics
- Pet grooming salons
- Pet shops
- Dog daycare centers
New York offers better salaries than other states, especially if you live in a big city like NYC.
You will be paid more if you have enough experience with dogs and a certification.
How much you will earn also depends on whether you are self-employed or work for a dog grooming company.Annual Salary Range:
Average Salary of Dog Groomers in New York
Additional Information for Dog Groomers in New York
Have a look at the below resources for more info on the dog grooming industry:
- National Dog Groomers Association of America
- International Association of Professional Groomers
- The Humane Society of the U.S./New York
After you finish your training and get certified, you will be able to start working almost right away.