Are you interested in establishing a new career in a field you love?
If that is the case, you should consider becoming a dog groomer in Vermont.
This career path is suitable for everyone who loves animals.
- Dog Groomer Job Description and Duties in Vermont
- Dog Groomer Job Requirements in Vermont
- Dog Groomers’ Education and Certification in Vermont
- Dog Groomers’ Employment and Salary in Vermont
- Additional Information for Dog Groomers in Vermont
Dog Groomer Job Description and Duties in Vermont
Dog groomers in Vermont spend quite a lot of time with dogs daily.
You will ensure the dog looks its best based on its breed and owner’s wishes.
There are quite a few tasks you will have to complete every day, and these include the following:
- Cutting, clipping, and styling a dog’s coat
- Bathing dogs
- Clipping a dog’s nails
- Interacting with dog owners
- Knowing the hygienic care for each dog breed
- Teeth brushing
- Knowing how to restrain animals
- Calming the dogs
- Identify problem areas
Your duties will also include:
- Cleaning and maintenance of the workplace
- Cleaning and maintaining your tools
- Knowing which tools to use for what task
- Safely operating the tools
- Staying updated with styling trends
- Staying informed on the industry changes
Dog Groomer Job Requirements in Vermont
A dog groomer should have many skills that will help them complete their daily duties successfully.
You should have abilities to keep the dog or animal you are working with relaxed and at ease.
You should be able to groom other animals in addition to dogs, such as cats.
You should also know how to communicate and have a pleasant and open personality.
Other requirements may be:
- Being over 18 years of age
- Having a high school diploma or GED
- Having some experience in working with animals
- Clean criminal record
- Physically strong
Dog Groomers’ Education and Certification in Vermont
In Vermont, there are no laws for dog groomers to have a certification.
Many dog grooming companies do require certification.
But, what certifications are available in this state and how can you get one?
Dog Groomers’ Education in Vermont
To apply and get a certification, the first step is to enroll in a training program.
You can easily find a suitable dog grooming program in Vermont.
After you join the program and complete it, your skills will be assessed in an exam.
If you pass the exam, you will also receive your dog grooming certification.
The dog grooming programs offer classes of theory and hands-on practice.
However, there is a stronger focus on practice as it provides you the needed experience to get hired.
Some of the subjects you will take in class include:
- Introduction to Pet Grooming
- Introduction to Dogs and Cats
- Pre-Grooming Procedures
- Dog Grooming, Part 1
- Dog Grooming, Part 2
- Dog Grooming, Part 3
- Dog Personalities and Behavior
- Cat Grooming
- Business Practices
Dog Groomers’ Certification in Vermont
Most dog groomers want to work in a dog grooming facility, and for this, you don’t need any other certification.
You will only need a commercial license if you choose to start your own dog grooming company.
In that case, you also need to know laws at the federal and state level.
Dog Groomers’ Employment and Salary in Vermont
Many dog grooming facilities hire new employees in Vermont.
These include the following:
- Dog rescues
- Veterinary clinics
- Pet grooming salons
- Pet shops
- Dog daycare centers
Another aspect you may want to know is how much you will be able to earn as a dog groomer in Vermont.
This depends on how much experience you have with animals, but also your location.
In a big city, you will earn a much higher salary than you would in a rural area.
This is also the case for people who decide to start their own business or work for a large facility.
When you first start your career, you can expect to earn between $11,000 and $17,000 in a year.
But, as you get more experienced, you can make as much as $50,000 a year.Annual Salary Range:
Average Salary of Dog Groomers in Vermont
Additional Information for Dog Groomers in Vermont
You might need some additional resources to keep you updated with the dog grooming industry in Vermont.
So, you can easily check out these associations:
- National Dog Groomers Association of America
- International Association of Professional Groomers
The most crucial aspect in building a solid career in the dog grooming sector is completing a training program.