The medical industry has a strong need for personnel, both qualified and not qualified.
The situation in Missouri is no different, and one of the easiest jobs to get in this state is that of an EKG technician.
If you want to learn more, read this article!
- EKG Tech Job Description and Duties in Missouri
- EKG Tech Job Requirements in Missouri
- EKG Technician Education in Missouri
- EKG Technician Certification in Missouri
- EKG Technician Employment and Salary in Missouri
- Additional Information for EKG Technicians in Missouri
EKG Tech Job Description and Duties in Missouri
EKG technicians need to attach patients to a machine that reads the impulses from the heart.
The readings are written on a special paper and they help usually cardiologists discover and treat affection of the heart.
To have a successful reading, the EKG technician needs to:
- Evaluate the patient and explaining procedures
- Verify his or her identity
- Performing EKG
- Point of care testing
- Preparing test results for the doctor
- Maintaining your area and equipment
EKG Tech Job Requirements in Missouri
Missouri has yet to set in place regulations related to EKG technicians.
Various jurisdictions may have some laws in place, so you need to check this first.
The places that hire EKG technicians will usually have some expectations from the candidates.
It’s is quite common for employers to prefer individuals who:
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Are healthy
- Are detail-oriented
- Have good communication skills
- Have an EKG technician certification
EKG Technician Education in Missouri
The certification is issued to those who graduate from a training program.
You have two options for training:
- The apprenticeship with a duration of about a year
- The training program of about 4 months.
If you choose the training program, you can check out these schools in Missouri.
Top 5 Schools in Missouri
|Aspire Healthcare Solutions||3391 North Highway 67, Florissant, Mo 63033|
|Bell Brown Medical Institute||470 Howdershell Road Florissant, MO 63031|
|Bka Medical Training Center Corporation||800 N Tucker Blvd, St. Louis, MO 63101|
|Kansas City School of Phlebotomy||2838 Warwick Trfy, Kansas City, MO 64108|
|St. Louis School of Phlebotomy||6717 Vernon Ave. St. Louis, MO 63130|
Each school has its own requirements for enrollment, though the state didn’t decide on any regulations for this yet.
It is common for the schools to accept only students who have:
- High School Diploma or GED
- The Age Over 18
- Clean Background Check (No Felonies)
- Negative Hepatitis Test
- Negative TB Test
- Recent Immunization Records
If you’re younger than the mentioned minimum age, you could enroll with parental permission, though a check with the school first is recommended.
Future EKG technicians will study:
- Heart anatomy
- Medical disease processes
- Medical terminology
- Anatomy of the chest wall for proper lead placement
EKG Technician Certification in Missouri
The certification is given to those who pass an exam.
You can choose from several exams, and these are the most commonly chosen ones:
- ASPT – Electrocardiograph (EKG) Technician exam
- NHA Certified EKG Technician exam
The exams are proctored at most of the testing centers.
These institutions expect candidates to sign up first.
To sign up you’ll need to present:
- Documentation proving you completed your training
- An application form you fill out
- Paying a few fees
- Proof of identity
If you pass the exam, you’ll have to also renew your diploma.
Keep in mind that this credential is recognized nationally.
The renewal process requires another application form, another fee, and possibly the completion of some extra classes.
EKG Technician Employment and Salary in Missouri
Everyone who became a certified EKG technician can start searching for a job.
These professionals are needed the most in:
- Physician’s offices
- Various other healthcare facilities
Depending on where you work, your working hours will differ and could even be demanding.
This will affect your salary, but it won’t be the only factor to do so.
If you want to see actual numbers, the table below shows you the average salaries in 10 cities across Missouri.Annual Salary Range:
Average Salary of EKG Technicians in Missouri
Additional Information for EKG Technicians in Missouri
ASET has a package that costs $150 and it contains:
- Full study guide
- Unlimited practice exams,
- 3 final certification exam attempts
- A professional resume revision
Many individuals choose the ASET certification because of these benefits.
Becoming a Certified EKG Instructor (CEI)
Another benefit of the ASET diploma is the possibility of becoming an EKG instructor.
For this, you’ll need at least 5 years of experience as an EKG tech.
Furthermore, passing a background check will also be needed.
If you get this certification, you can either work for a training center or school or open your own training school.