Health Administration Degrees in Kansas
We assure you that these days, a degree in business can be a good starting point for a lucrative and stable career in healthcare administration.
New students should think about starting the education with an Undergraduate Degree in Healthcare Administration and Management while working professionals who are eager to advance in their careers can explore graduate degree options specific to health services administration and management.
The most prominent educational institution in Kansas is definitely – THE UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS MEDICAL CENTER
You can start your education at the School of Medicine in Kansas City where a Master of Health Services Administration (On-Campus, Hybrid) program is available.
The estimated cost per academic year is $4494 for in-state residents and $10,560 for out of state ones.
The school boasts accreditation by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Schools & Colleges; Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education; Council on Education for Public Health.
Some examples of undergraduate degree programs offered both online and on-campus in Kansas are:
- Bachelor of Health Administration (BHA)
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Healthcare Management or Administration
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
During undergraduate studies, students will spend four years completing 120-semester credits.
The first two years are comprised of general undergraduate requirements while the latter two years of a bachelor’s program focuses on the specifics of a particular major, such as healthcare management or administration.
Important subjects covered throughout the second two years of the academic curriculum include:
- Strategic planning/marketing in a business environment
- Analysis of financial statements
- Human resource management for healthcare
- Business and administration leadership
- Healthcare economics
- Legal issues in the healthcare business environment
- Operations and supply chain management
- Organizational change
Relevant traditional on-campus undergraduate degree programs are available in schools located in:
- Overland Park
- Kansas City
If you wish to get a graduate degree in the field of healthcare management and administration so as to advance in your career, you can choose one of the relevant programs:
- Master of Healthcare Administration (MHA)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA), especially with a focus on Healthcare Management or Healthcare Administration
- Dual degree programs:
Yous should have in mind that each graduate school has its own admission requirements that you need to get familiar with.
Admission standards that each enrollee must meet prior to being accepted in a graduate program can include:
- Current employment and/or experience in the healthcare industry
- Minimum GPA requirement
- Letters of recommendation
- Essay on personal motivations as well as academic and professional goals
Programs will commonly accept students who have earned their bachelor’s degrees in any field but they must meet the prerequisite course requirements.
Advanced education will require more detailed and specific courses to be attended, so subjects that are covered over the course of graduate studies in this field will include:
- Data and evidence-based management decisions
- Advanced financial management
- Compliance for national/international accreditation
- Healthcare decision management
- Management of large healthcare organizations
- Healthcare management and global markets
- Medical informatics
- Quantitative methods for healthcare organizations
Prospective Kansas graduate students can find graduate programs within schools located in:
- Kansas City
- Overland Park
Job Postings in Healthcare Administration in Kansas
These are the examples of job postings to get acquainted with what is needed in terms of education and experience for a certain position in Kansa:
Hospital Corporation of America (HCA) Physician Services Group (PSG) in Overland Park – Cardiology Clinic Manager (non-licensed) – The employee will work with physicians to hire, train, and orient new staff and he/she must have at least a bachelor’s degree in healthcare administration, business administration, or an equivalent field.
Hospital Corporation of America (HCA) Physician Services Group (PSG) in Overland Park – Pediatric Services RN Navigator – He/she will be an intermediary between patients and doctors, social workers, specialists, and other members of the wider healthcare community so the preferred applicant must have a valid RN license, an MHA, MSN, or APRN.
Via Christi Villages – Executive Director in Wichita – This person will be responsible for implementing strategies that accomplish overall program goals, sp applicants should have an MHA, MBA, or similar degree.
Via Christi Villages – Director of Practice Management in Manhattan – His/her duty will be to develop departmental goals and plan all staffing activities, so he/she must have a bachelor’s degree.
Genesis HealthCare in Kansas City – Admission Director – The individual will manage the admissions process, and marketing. When it comes to education, he/she must have at least some college background in healthcare administration, business management, marketing, or public relations.
Possible Employers and Professional Resources for Health Administrators in Kansas
No matter whether you start a new career or move up to a senior position, you will definitely find it useful to take a look at the following resources in the field of healthcare administration and management.
Largest Employers of Healthcare Administrators and Managers
- The University of Kansas Hospital in Kansas City
- Stormont-Vail Regional Medical Center in Topeka
- Olathe Medical Center
- Community Healthcare System in Onaga
- Dwight D. Eisenhower VA Medical Center in Leavenworth
- Colmery-O’Neil VA Medical Center in Topeka
- Robert J. Dole VA Medical Center in Wichita
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City
- Coventry Health Care of Kansas
- Kansas Health Care Association
- Great Plains Health Alliance
- Kansas Hospital Association
- Medical Group Management Association of Greater Kansas City and the State of Kansas
- Kansas Health Information Management Association
- Kansas City Area Healthcare Engineers
- Heart of America Chapter and the Sunflower Chapter of the Healthcare Financial Management Association
- Health Management Associates
- Health Care Administrators Association
- American Association of Healthcare Administrative Management
Health Administration Salaries and Job Growth in Kansas
We are so pleased to say that there will be plenty of options for medical administrators and managers throughout Kansas and job opportunities are expected to increase.
According to the statistics, non-metropolitan Kansas has the highest number of medical and health services managers of all rural areas in the nation.
These professionals earn an average annual salary of $110,508, but those more experienced and who are in charge of more demanding jobs can earn up to $124,632.Annual Salary Range:
Average Salary of Healthcare Administrators in Kansas