How to Become a Patient Access Representative in Vermont

Search Patient Access Representative Programs

Get information on Patient Access Representative programs by entering your zip code and request enrollment information.

Sponsored Search
Vermont map

How would you like a job in Vermont that pays around $55,000 without college?

Well, patient access representatives require minimal training beyond certification and can often start looking for work in a few months.

Are you interested?

Read on to learn how to start this career.

Search Patient Access Representative Programs

Get information on Patient Access Representative programs by entering your zip code and request enrollment information.

Sponsored Listings

Steps to Become a Patient Access Representative in Vermont

Do you need a college degree to start a patient access representative career?


While a health-related diploma may help, they’re not essential.

Many people apply for these positions right out of high school.

However, they’re not likely to get them without certification.

Step One: Complete Your High School Education

Most patient access representative jobs require a high school diploma.

What if you didn’t graduate or dropped out?

Can you use a GED (General Education Development) degree instead?


Earn one by researching adult education facilities in your area.

Next, sign up for a GED program and pay any necessary fees.

What’s included in the exam?

Most cover basic subjects, like high school reading, writing, math, and science.

Step Two: Consider Certification

Do you have to college for this job?


Yes, college degrees will help you stand out but aren’t necessary.

Instead, take a National Association of Healthcare Access Management (NAHAM) certification course.

These courses prepare you for the licensing exam and highlight your problem-solving skills and general knowledge.

How long will they take?

No more than a few months.

Most are self-guided, so you can study and take the test when you want.

Step Three: Get Volunteer Experience

Volunteering at hospitals provides valuable work experience.

For example, you can volunteer with billing departments to learn how they process information.

What kind of roles are available?

Expect to sort paperwork and help patients process their billing.

Is volunteering necessary?

No, but it always looks good on a resume.

It shows that you care about your community and others.

Often, people with minimal experience use volunteering to pad out their resume a little.

Step Four: Find an Internship

Most patient access representative positions require previous experience.

So how can you get it without finding a job?


Hospitals often provide high-quality training opportunities for certified reps.

Will you get paid?

That depends on the position.

Some provide a little compensation for your work, while others do not.

However, you’ll get hands-on experience in this field while working.

So, while you may have to find a part- or full-time job while interning, the experience is critical.

Step Five: Apply for Jobs

After finishing your internship, you can apply for jobs.

How much experience is necessary?

That varies depending on the hospital.

Some may only want 1-2 years, while others demand more.

Earn 3-5 years before looking for work.

Find work in hospitals, emergency rooms, and urgent care centers.

Specialists like dentists or podiatrists may also hire patient access representatives.

Our suggestion: send your resume to every medical facility near you.

Schools in Vermont

Many Vermont schools can train you for a patient access representative job.

These include online courses and in-person universities.

We found two options that can help you prepare for this position.

Do you need to take these courses?

No, but doing so can improve your education.

Ultimate Medical Academy ultimate medical academy

Ultimate Medical Academy provides an online course for medical assistants.

It covers skills like patient communication, medical coding, and insurance claims.

But does it prepare you for certification?

Yes, the Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) exam.

How long will it last?

Typically, it takes 18 months.

After finishing, use their job placement assistance.

This program helps you find a job in Vermont and beyond.

Does it guarantee you’ll find a position?

No, but it improves your chances.

Vermont Tech vermont tech

Vermont Tech provides a training bundle for patient access representative careers.

It’ll teach you how to answer phones, communicate properly, and handle paperwork.

You also learn medical terminology, human anatomy, and treatment methods.

Over several weeks, you’ll practice essential job skills with your professor.

How else do these professors help you?

Guidance and support.

For example, they can explain complex billing terms and concepts.

Need job help?

VT offers a job-placement program.

Patient Access Representative Schools in Vermont – Summary Table

Top 2 Schools in Vermont

School NameAddress
Ultimate Medical Academy1255 Cleveland St, Clearwater, FL 33755, United States
Vermont Tech 124 Admin Dr, Randolph Center, VT 05061, United States


How much will you make in this position?

That depends on several factors.

These include your work experience and your employer.

Most patient access representatives make between $44,157 and $54,242 in Vermont.

What’s the average salary?

About $48,526 yearly or $24.26 per hour.

Is there room for improvement?


Management positions, like senior patient access representatives, are available.

You can also move to a bigger city or a different hospital to get more pay.

Try Burlington first before applying at other hospitals.

Annual Salary Range:

Average Salary of Patient Access Representatives in Vermont

City NameSalary
South Burlington$49,720
* Salary information last updated 2024

Regional Salary in Vermont

RegionEmployedAvg. Annual SalaryAvg. Hourly PayTop 10% Annual SalaryBottom 10% Annual Salary
Burlington-South Burlington, VT110$47,530$22.85$59,070$38,330
* Salary information based on the May 2022 Occupational Employment Statistics (OES) Survey for Medical Records Specialists, OCC Code 29-2072, BLS.
* Employment conditions in your area may vary.

Before starting your certification, read through these frequently asked questions.

They cover common subjects that you might miss in your training.

Frequently Asked Questions

How much experience do I need to start?

Can you find a job right after finishing your certification?

Usually, no.

Many hospitals want at least five years of experience before hiring a patient access representative.

That said, some provide on-the-job training to people with minimal experience.

How long will this training last?

Typically, it includes three years of supervised training to start a full-time job.

Where can I find a patient access representative job in Vermont?

Look for work in Vermont’s many medical centers.

These include the University of Vermont Medical Center, Brattleboro Retreat, Copley Hospital, Gifford Medical Center, Grace Cottage Hospital, Mt. Ascutney Hospital, and Health Center, and North Country Hospital and Health.

Will you get extra training after getting hired?

That depends on the hospital.

Does this job pay well?

How well does this job’s $48,000 average salary compare to Vermont’s average pay?

On the surface, not great.

As of May 2023, Vermont’s average salary is $77,555 yearly or $37.29 per hour.

Does this mean you shouldn’t train for this job?

No, because Vermont’s highest-paying jobs require extensive education.

Unlike them, you won’t be deep in college debt.

How often do I renew my certificate?

Vermont currently doesn’t offer certification for this job.

Instead, you’ll earn national certification with organizations like CMAA.

Do you need to renew yearly?

Thankfully, no.

Most organizations provide a three- to four-year certification.

Do you need to take the full exam again?


Usually, you take a smaller test that gauges your basic knowledge.

Search Programs