Working with needles is not for everyone, but for phlebotomy technicians is their everyday pleasure.
A phlebotomist is a crucial part of the healthcare team, and its direct work with patients is determinant in getting blood samples that will be tested.
- Online: $300 – $700
- Technical School: $700 – $1,400
What Is A Phlebotomy Technician?
A phlebotomy technician is the healthcare professional in charge of doing phlebotomies, which are the surgical puncturing of a vein to get blood, which go to testing.
They are often helping doctors and nurses and also helping get the blood sample or any other type of sample from a patient.
According to Indeed.com, for phlebotomy technicians, the median annual wage was $19.44 per hour in 2022.
What Are The Responsibilities/Duties Of A Phlebotomy Technician?
According to VocationalTrainingHQ.com, the major duties and responsibilities of a phlebotomy technician include:
- Collecting blood samples from patients.
- Use proper identification techniques, especially if you work in a hospital.
- Labeling vials of samples.
- Having the ability to find veins and using the best techniques to acquire blood from the patient.
- Transfer samples to the required area.
- Using sanitation methods so no cross-contamination occurs.
What Are The Costs Of Phlebotomy Technician Programs?
The cost of a phlebotomy technician program can vary depending on the duration of the program and level of specialization, the school if you are an in-state resident or out-state student, and the state where the school is located.
Phlebotomy training is typically available through online programs and can from $300 to $700.
To get training at a technical school or facility costs can go from $700 to $1,400.
- After finishing the program, professionals have to get certified by The American Phlebotomy Association, which typically costs $80 to $150. Other certifying organizations are the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP), the National Healthcareer Association (NHA), the National Phlebotomy Association (NPA), the National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT), the American Medical Technologists (AMT) or the American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians (ASPT).
- Students can purchase phlebotomy training kits for $100 to $500, a practice injection arm for about $500, and practice veins for about $140.
What Are The Best Schools That Offer Phlebotomy Technician Programs?
When looking for a phlebotomist program this needs to be approved and accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS).
The best phlebotomy programs accredited by NAACLS in 2022 are:
|Moraine Valley Community College||Palos Hills, IL||It is a 10-credit hour program where you are required to complete three courses.|
|Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College||Asheville, NC||Coursework includes a 6-credit phlebotomy technology, three credits in either interpersonal or general psychology, and 3-credit practicum where you will garner real-world skills.|
|Austin Peay State University||Clarksville, TN||Austin Peay State University offers non-credit phlebotomy technician training at its campus in Clarksville, TN.|
|Cuyahoga Community College||Cleveland, OH||The clinical training part is quite intensive, requiring you to spend a total of 32 hours every week.|
|Bossier Parish Community College||Bossier City, LA||This 1-year program offered at the BPCC campus in Bossier City, Louisiana, will require you to complete a total of 26 credit hours.|