Accredited Ultrasound Technician Schools in Texas
- Alvin Community College-3110 Mustang Rd Alvin, TX 77511
- Angelina College-3500 South First Street Lufkin, TX 75902
- Austin Community College-4400 College Park Drive Bldg 3000 Room 3228 Round Rock, TX 78665
- Del Mar College-101 Baldwin Blvd West Campus Corpus Christi, TX 78404
- El Centro College-801 Main Street Dallas, TX 75202
- El Paso Community College-PO Box 20500 El Paso, TX 79998
- Harris Health System-9250 Kirby Dr.Suite 1800 Houston, TX 77054
- Houston Community College-1900 Pressler Street Houston, TX 77030
- Houston International College-12135 Bissonnet Suite E Houston, TX 77099
- Lamar Institute of Technology-855 East Lavaca Beaumont, TX 77705
- Lone Star College-9191 Barker Cypress Road Cypress, TX 77433
- Midland College-3600 North Garfield Midland, TX 79705
- Parker University-2540 Walnut Hill Lane Dallas, TX 75229
- Pima Medical Institute-10201 Katy Freeway Houston, TX 77024
- San Jacinto College-8060 Spencer Highway Pasadena, TX 77505
- St Phillips College-1801 Martin Luther King Drive San Antonio, TX 78203
- Tarrant County College-245 East Belknap Fort Worth, TX 76102
- Temple College-2600 South First Street Temple, TX 76504
- Texas Southmost College-80 Fort Brown Brownsville, TX 78520
- Tyler Junior College-P.O. Box 9020 Tyler, TX 75711
- Weatherford College-225 College Park Dr. Weatherford, TX 76086
Alvin Community College offers an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in Diagnostic Medical Sonography, a two-year program with specializations available in adult echocardiography, pediatric echocardiography, and vascular sonography. Those who already have a degree in a related healthcare field can pursue a condensed degree and graduate with an Advanced Technical Certificate in DMS.
- Program costs: A.A.S. in-district, $4,479. Advanced Tech Certificate in-district, $2,552.
Angelina College – Applicants for the DMS program at Angelina College are ranked using a points-based system and the admission depends on cumulative GPA, sonography lab hours, and an interview, among others. Bonus points are given to applicants who already hold a degree.
Austin Community College offers a competitive program for students, preparing them for entry-level sonography positions in general, cardiac, or vascular sonography.
- Available programs: Diagnostic Cardiovascular Sonography and Diagnostic Medical-Vascular Sonography
- Prerequisites: Certified Nurse Aid Training (CNA) is required to apply, as well as several college-level math and science courses.
Del Mar College offers an Associate in Applied Science degree at the West Campus of Del Mar, with specialties available in general or cardiac sonography.
- Application deadline: December 1st of each year
- Prerequisites: Students must have completed a Certified Nurse Aid (CNA) certificate program or show proof of exemption.
El Centro College offers students two different pathways: the Diagnostic Medical Sonography A.A.S.- a five-semester degree program for individuals without an educational background in the medical field and an Advanced Technical Certificate available for students who already hold an associate in science degree in a designated allied health field or a B.S. with a major in science.
- Program cost: A.A.S. is $3,835 and tuition for the Advanced Certificate is $2,478.
At El Paso Community College, you can enroll in one of two sonography programs. Actually, those who already have completed an associate’s degree in a patient-care related allied health program at an accredited institution there is a one-year certificate program, while those without prior program completion should enroll in a two-year Associate’s in Science degree in DMS.
- Cost of program: $9,812
Harris Health System – if you enroll in this program, you will receive training in abdominal and Ob/Gyn sonography. So as to be accepted, applicants must have already completed a program in a healthcare field or hold an Associate’s degree.
- Tuition and Fees: $800 in-district, $850 out of the district, plus a $150 administrative fee
Houston Community College offers an Advanced Technical Certificate in Diagnostic Medical Sonography, which is a full-time, four-semester program. Students are required to have already completed an Associate’s degree in allied health or a Bachelor’s degree in any discipline.
- Estimated tuition cost: $5,985.50
- Admissions: Around 24 students are admitted each year.
Houston International College in its CardioTech Ultrasound School offers an Associate in Applied Science degree in diagnostic medical and vascular ultrasound. These two programs have not been accredited by the CAAHEP. The accredited program offered is for the echocardiogram technician.
- Program length: 73 semester hours over a five-semester period.
Lamar Institute of Technology offers an Associate of Applied Science in DMS, with accredited specialization in either general or cardiac sonography. This is a 65-credit program, with 50 lecture hours and 90 laboratory hours. A minimum of a 2.5 GPA must be maintained during the entire program.
- Application deadline: April 1st of each year
- Admissions: A max of 12 students are accepted to the medical sonography program, and 10 to the cardiac program.
Lone Star College offers an accredited Associate Degree program in general sonography or echocardiography. Math, English, and science courses must be completed prior to application.
- Program cost: Approximately $14,000 in-district
- Length of program: 4 consecutive semesters
- Admittance: Up to 15 students annually Program
Midland College – Students may apply to enter the A.A.S. sonography degree program after successfully completing the Texas Success Initiative (TSI). This is a 61-semester credit hour, full-time program that must be taken consecutively.
Parker University has an accredited Associate of Applied Science degree program in general sonography.
- Admittance: Up to 15 students annually
- Program length: Total of 75 credit hours (27 credit hours of prerequisites, 48 hours of major core courses).
- Application due date: July 1st of each year
Pima Medical Institute offers an accredited general sonography program at both the Houston and El Paso campuses.
San Jacinto College offers an A.A.S. in Diagnostic Medical Sonography with training in examination of the breast, abdomen, female and male reproductive systems, and more.
- Program costs: In-district cost is $6780. Out-of-district, $10,371
Ultrasound Tech Certification Requirements in Texas
Even though certification is not required by the state of Texas, possessing certification in this field is a way of showing expertise and dedication.
It is definitely worth pursuing, as most employers require professional certification by the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS) when choosing the appropriate candidate.
The easiest way to qualify to sit for the exam is to graduate from a program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) or gaining 12 months of full-time clinical experience prior to taking their test.
The ARDMS has a list of possible prerequisites that each applicant must meet.
Ultrasound Techs Salary And Job Outlook In Texas
The average salary for ultrasound techs in Texas is $75729 and the Houston area has the 4th highest level of employment in the country.
Job growth is expected to be at 35% by 2026, causing the opening of new jobs for sonographers.
Annual Salary Range:
Average Salary of Ultrasound Technicians in Texas