If you want to become a dog groomer in Delaware, we have just the right guide for you!
Here is where you’ll learn more about the path you must follow as well as the salary you can expect, so buckle up and continue reading!
- Dog Groomer Job Description and Duties in Delaware
- Dog Groomer Job Requirements in Delaware
- Dog Groomers’ Education and Certification in Delaware
- Dog Groomers’ Employment and Salary in Delaware
- Additional Information for Dog Groomers in Delaware
Dog Groomer Job Description and Duties in Delaware
There are many tasks a dog groomer must complete while at work.
Here are some of the most commonly seen grooming services:
- Cutting, clipping, and styling a dog’s coat
- Bathing dogs
- Clipping a dog’s nails
- Interacting with dog owners
- Knowing the hygienic care for each dog breed
- Teeth brushing
- Knowing how to restrain animals
- Calming the dogs
- Identify problem areas
If you value your job, you’ll also complete these duties:
- Cleaning and maintenance of your workplace
- Cleaning and maintaining your tools
- Knowing which tools to use for what task
- Safely operating the tools
- Staying updated with styling trends
- Staying informed on the industry changes
Dog Groomer Job Requirements in Delaware
The ideal candidate for this job is empathetic and patient both with animals and their owners.
Liking dogs and other animals shouldn’t even need to be mentioned.
You also need a variety of other skills, such as:
- Good communication skills
- Ability to lift at least 50lbs
- Be detail-oriented
- Being accurate
- Ability to stand for several hours
- Ability to use both hands
Dog Groomers’ Education and Certification in Delaware
While you don’t need a certificate to work as a pet groomer in Delaware, obtaining one will only improve your career prospects.
This will also ensure you know the proper techniques to use while grooming a pet.
Dog Groomers’ Education
Since you don’t need a degree for grooming dogs, the training of a pet groomer only lasts for a few months.
The classes can be completed online as well.
However, since this occupation relies heavily on using your hands, you need to complete more practice hours than theory hours.
Some pet groomers also get trained on the job, and finding a class through a pet salon is not unheard of.
Most courses have the following structure:
- Introduction to Pet Grooming
- Introduction to Dogs and Cats
- Pre-Grooming Procedures
- Dog Grooming, Part 1
- Dog Grooming, Part 2
- Dog Grooming, Part 3
- Dog Personalities and Behavior
- Cat Grooming
- Business Practices
It’s important to learn h0w to care for a cat’s appearance as well.
Many establishments also cater to cats, unless they specialize in dogs.
Since many people who finish type of training will start a business, attending a dedicated class is very important.
Dog Groomers’ Certification
Almost no institution will issue a diploma without the candidate passing an exam.
The structure of the exam and the associated fees will differ depending on the institution you trained at.
You can obtain extra diplomas if you want to specialize as a stylist for a specific dog breed.
A business license is needed by those who want to open a pet grooming salon.
For this, you could need to pass a jurisprudence exam.
Dog Groomers’ Employment and Salary in Delaware
As already mentioned, in Delaware, you can work in many facilities catering to the needs of animals.
- Dog rescues
- Veterinary clinics
- Pet grooming salons
- Pet shops
- Dog daycare centers
As you can imagine, your salary will depend a lot on the type of employment you have:
- Full-time for someone else
- Part-time for someone else
- Self-employed full-time
- Self-employed part-time
Part-time employment as a pet stylist usually means you’re supplementing your main salary.
Even your experience and location will impact your income.Annual Salary Range:
Average Salary of Dog Groomers in Delaware
Additional Information for Dog Groomers in Delaware
The industry can change from time to time, and staying informed is important.
For this, you can use these resources:
- Delaware Humane Association
- Dog Groomers Delaware
- American Kennel Club (AKC)
- National Dog Groomers Association of America
These associations can also help you obtain more diplomas or improve some of your skills and knowledge.