Depending on your skills and abilities, being a god groomer in Iowa could be one of the easiest jobs for you!
Here is where you’ll learn whether you’re made for this occupation or not, so buckle up!
- Dog Groomer Job Description and Duties in Iowa
- Dog Groomer Job Requirements in Iowa
- Dog Groomers’ Education and Certification in Iowa
- Dog Groomers’ Employment and Salary in Iowa
- Additional Information for Dog Groomers in Iowa
Dog Groomer Job Description and Duties in Iowa
Knowing exactly what you need to do daily as a pet stylist, is important.
You’ll generally be asked for:
- Cutting, clipping, and styling a dog’s coat
- Bathing dogs
- Clipping a dog’s nails
- Interacting with dog owners
- Knowing the hygienic care for each dog breed
- Teeth brushing
- Knowing how to restrain animals
- Calming the dogs
- Identify problem areas
In the list below you’ll see some responsibilities that are completed mostly behind the scenes:
- Cleaning and maintenance of your workplace
- Cleaning and maintaining your tools
- Knowing which tools to use for what task
- Safely operating the tools
- Staying updated with styling trends
- Staying informed on the industry changes
It’s highly possible to also receive other tasks than what was mentioned here.
Dog Groomer Job Requirements in Iowa
Like we mentioned, there’s a job for anyone and an ideal candidate for each job.
As a pet groomer, you need to really like animals as well as interacting with a variety of people.
This requires decently good communication skills as well as patience and empathy.
You might have to put the animals on the table and then back on the ground.
For this, you need to be able to use your arms as well as some physical strength.
Depending on the employer, other requirements might also be listed.
Dog Groomers’ Education and Certification in Iowa
Dog groomers don’t have to have a high school diploma or GED.
This means that getting started on this new career path is rather easy.
It is a good idea though to enroll in a training program and get certified.
Dog Groomers’ Education
In Iowa, the majority of pet grooming courses have a duration of 2 months.
Online and on-the-job training are also possible if you can’t find another program near your location.
You’re expected to learn:
- Introduction to Pet Grooming
- Introduction to Dogs and Cats
- Pre-Grooming Procedures
- Dog Grooming, Part 1
- Dog Grooming, Part 2
- Dog Grooming, Part 3
- Dog Personalities and Behavior
- Cat Grooming
- Business Practices
Learning cat grooming is important because many salons and not only, also cater to cats.
The classes usually cost under $1000 and you can even get a discount if you pay it all at once.
Dog Groomers’ Certification
Most of the programs end with an exam and those who pass it get certified.
If you want to run a pet grooming business, you need a business license as well.
For this, passing a jurisprudence exam is usually mandatory.
There are fees related to taking each exam, so check this aspect in advance.
If you’re willing to attend various workshops and other intensive classes, you can earn more diplomas.
These will only be beneficial to your career as a dog stylist.
Dog Groomers’ Employment and Salary in Iowa
Once you’re ready to start working, you can find a job at:
- Dog rescues
- Veterinary clinics
- Pet grooming salons
- Pet shops
- Dog daycare centers
This job allows for many kinds of employment arrangements, including as a side job.
All of these, and the city you’re in, can have a say in how much you earn.
Below you can only see the 10 largest urban areas in Iowa and the median salaries for dog groomers there.Annual Salary Range:
Average Salary of Dog Groomers in Iowa
|West Des Moines||$34,601|
Additional Information for Dog Groomers in Iowa
Since you’re supposed to always be updated on the industry news, use these resources:
- Animal Rescue League of Iowa
- Iowa Dog Grooming Services
- Iowa Dog Groomers
- American Kennel Club (AKC)
- National Dog Groomers Association of America
These associations can also help you find a job or more classes to help you hone your skills more.