There are many reasons why you should consider becoming a dog groomer in Texas.
You can easily learn more about the requirements if you read our article below.
- Dog Groomer Job Description and Duties in Texas
- Dog Groomer Job Requirements in Texas
- Dog Groomers’ Education and Certification in Texas
- Dog Groomers’ Employment and Salary in Texas
- Additional Information for Dog Groomers in Texas
Dog Groomer Job Description and Duties in Texas
Dog groomers provide their services to all breeds of dogs, so it is important that you like being around these animals.
A dog groomer has several tasks they need to complete every day, which include:
- Cutting, clipping, and styling a dog’s coat
- Bathing dogs
- Clipping a dog’s nails
- Interacting with dog owners
- Knowing the hygienic care for each dog breed
- Teeth brushing
- Knowing how to restrain animals
- Calming the dogs
- Identify problem areas
Your duties will also include:
- Cleaning and maintenance of the workplace
- Cleaning and maintaining your tools
- Knowing which tools to use for what task
- Safely operating the tools
- Staying updated with styling trends
- Staying informed on the industry changes
Dog Groomer Job Requirements in Texas
Successful dog groomers need to have a set of particular skills.
For example, you will need to have some communication skills.
You should also be compassionate and empathetic with animals and their owners.
Other needed traits are:
- Attention to details
- Physically strong
- Being over 18 years of age
- Having a high school diploma or GED
- Having some experience in working with animals
- Clean criminal record
As a dog groomer, you should expect to work in shifts sometimes.
Dog Groomers’ Education and Certification in Texas
Texas, just like many other states, does not request a dog grooming certification.
But, you may have more chances to find a good job fast once you have the certification you need.
So, how can you get it?
Dog Groomers’ Education in Texas
Before anything else, you should locate a good training program for dog groomers in your area.
As Texas is a big state, you will easily be able to find the program you are looking for.
Completing the training program means you will need to also take and pass the certification exam.
For this, you need to make an appointment beforehand.
Your dog grooming certification will be sent to you by mail a few weeks after you pass the exam.
In class, you will study the topics below:
- Introduction to Pet Grooming
- Introduction to Dogs and Cats
- Pre-Grooming Procedures
- Dog Grooming, Part 1
- Dog Grooming, Part 2
- Dog Grooming, Part 3
- Dog Personalities and Behavior
- Cat Grooming
- Business Practices
The dog grooming training program features both theory and practice hours.
Dog Groomers’ Certification in Texas
This certification is all you need to become a dog groomer in Texas and work for a pet facility.
You will need a commercial license if you prefer to open your own dog grooming company.
You will also need to know the laws at the federal and state level.
Dog Groomers’ Employment and Salary in Texas
You will easily be able to get hired if you have a dog grooming certification.
You can get hired in a pet grooming facility like:
- Dog rescues
- Veterinary clinics
- Pet grooming salons
- Pet shops
- Dog daycare centers
Maybe you want to have an idea about the average salaries for a dog groomer in Texas.
There are many things to take into account when considering salaries for a dog groomer.
Dog groomers who have their own business have a higher salary than employees.
In Texas, your salary also depends on your location,
If you live in a city like Dallas and Austin you will earn a higher annual salary.
You will make between $37,000 and $40,000 a year.Annual Salary Range:
Average Salary of Dog Groomers in Texas
Additional Information for Dog Groomers in Texas
If you need to look for industry resources to keep up to date with the industry, check out the following:
- American Kennel Club (AKC)
- Texas Dog Grooming Directory
- National Dog Groomers Association of America
- Humane Society of North Texas
Dog grooming is a profession that becomes more and more popular in Texas.
An increased number of dog grooming jobs will open over the next few years.
This means that the industry is flourishing and presents good opportunities.
Keep in mind that all you have to do is attend a training program, and you will soon enjoy the career of your dreams.