This article will explain to you more about the process of becoming an EKG technician in Louisiana.
This position is ideal for someone who wants to enter the medical field but prefers staying out of the academic world.
Read on if this is something that would interest you!
- EKG Tech Job Description and Duties in Louisiana
- EKG Tech Job Requirements in Louisiana
- EKG Technician Education in Louisiana
- EKG Technician Certification in Louisiana
- EKG Technician Employment and Salary in Louisiana
- Additional Information for EKG Technicians in Louisiana
EKG Tech Job Description and Duties in Louisiana
If you didn’t already know, EKG means electrocardiogram.
An EKG requires a machine to be connected to the patient and a printer, while heart-related data s being recorded.
This data helps mostly cardiologists to find out what is wrong with their patients, and decide on a treatment plan.
Other physicians may also use the EKG recordings.
EKG techs are in charge of these tasks:
- Evaluating a patient and explaining procedures
- Verify patients identity
- Performing EKG
- Point of care testing
- Preparing test results for the doctor
- Maintaining your area and equipment
EKG Tech Job Requirements in Louisiana
In Louisiana, individuals who want to become EKG techs have no regulations to worry about.
Anyone can get hired for the EKG tech position according to the law, but employers do have some expectations.
They’re usually searching for people who:
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Be healthy
- Be detail-oriented
- Have good communication skills
- Have an EKG technician certification
EKG Technician Education in Louisiana
There’s specific education one needs to attend to get certified.
You can receive the right education through one of these methods:
- An apprenticeship of 1 year
- A training program of around 4 months
As you can expect, there are also no rules when it comes to enrollment into these programs.
It’s the schools who have requirements, such as:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Over The Age Of 18
- Clean Background Check (No Felonies)
- Negative Hepatitis Test
- Negative TB Test
- Immunization Records
If you’re under 18 but can get parental approval, you can enroll in some of the courses, but check with the school first.
Once you’re enrolled, you’ll study:
- Heart anatomy
- Medical disease processes
- Medical terminology
- Anatomy of the chest wall for proper lead placement
Here’s a list of schools that offer EKG technician training in Louisiana.
Top 9 Schools in Louisiana
|Blue Cliff College||1505 Metro Dr, Alexandria, LA 71301|
|Blue Cliff College||3200 Cleary Ave, Metairie, LA 70002|
|Blue Cliff College||120 James Comeaux Rd, Lafayette, LA 70508|
|Delgado Community College||615 City Park Ave, New Orleans, LA 70119|
|Fortis College||14111 Airline Hwy, Baton Rouge, LA 70817|
|Louisiana State University-Eunice||2048 Johnson Hwy, Eunice, LA 70535|
|McCann School of Business & Technology||2319 Louisville Ave, Monroe, LA 71201|
|Remington College||303 Rue Louis XIV, Lafayette, LA 70508|
|Remington College||2106 W Bert Kouns Industrial Loop, Shreveport, LA 71118|
EKG Technician Certification in Louisiana
At the end of the training course, you have to pass an exam.
Choose one of the following ones:
- ASPT – Electrocardiograph (EKG) Technician exam
- NHA Certified EKG Technician exam
You can’t take the exam without signing up for it first.
The next papers are usually needed to sign up:
- A certificate of completion or school transcripts
- If you chose an apprenticeship, you’ll need a different document from your employer
- Proof of identity
- Proof you completed 10 EKGs
- An application form
- A fee
Most of the certifications are recognized all across the country.
You will also have to renew the diploma once in a while.
To renew the credential, you’ll need a few things as well, such as an application, a fee, and possibly completing some classes to continue your education.
EKG Technician Employment and Salary in Louisiana
Now that you have your certification, it’s time to apply for a job, and you can start here:
- Physician’s offices
- Various other healthcare facilities
In Louisiana, like everywhere else, the salary depends on a variety of factors.
They include experience, location, employer, and credentials.
Here’s a table with actual average salaries across this stateAnnual Salary Range:
Average Salary of EKG Technicians in Louisiana
Additional Information for EKG Technicians in Louisiana
A majority of people choose to get the ASET certification.
ASET is the American Society of EKG Technicians.
This Society offers a package for $150 that contains:
- Full study guide
- Unlimited practice exams,
- 3 final certification exam attempts
- A professional resume revision
This package is available online as well, for the comfort of the student.
Becoming a Certified EKG Instructor (CEI)
Through the ASET certification, you can become a Certified EKG Instructor.
These instructors can open a training school or work for an existing EKG training school.
To qualify, you’ll need:
- At least 5 years of experience
- A clean criminal record
- The right to work in the USA