South Dakota has a strong demand for EKG techs.
This is an occupation fit for those who want to:
- Help others
- Work in the medical field
Read this article if you want to know what to do to become an EKG tech!
- EKG Tech Job Description and Duties in South Dakota
- EKG Tech Job Requirements in South Dakota
- EKG Technician Education in South Dakota
- EKG Technician Certification in South Dakota
- EKG Technician Employment and Salary in South Dakota
- Additional Information for EKG Technicians in South Dakota
EKG Tech Job Description and Duties in South Dakota
You probably wonder how do EKG technicians help others.
First of all, they help physicians find out and treat illnesses related to the heart.
In turn, this helps the patients recover and feel better.
These professionals are in charge of the following tasks:
- Evaluating a patient and explaining procedures
- Verify patients identity
- Performing EKG
- Point of care testing
- Preparing test results for the doctor
- Maintaining your area and equipment
EKG Tech Job Requirements in South Dakota
South Dakota doesn’t have regulations set in place for these professionals at the state level.
The only consequence possible is that just about anyone can apply for these positions, no matter their experience or training.
When seeking new personnel, employers will have some expectations.
The most common of them are:
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Be healthy
- Be detail-oriented
- Have good communication skills
- Have an EKG technician certification
EKG Technician Education in South Dakota
The last requirement mentioned earlier is having a certification.
You can only obtain one if you join a training program near you.
Interestingly enough, only the schools offering these programs have prerequisites related to enrollment.
These are some of their demands:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Over The Age Of 18
- Clean Background Check (No Felonies)
- Negative Hepatitis Test
- Negative TB Test
- Immunization Records
If you want to train for an EKG position, you also have the option to join an apprenticeship.
You must keep in mind that apprenticeships will take up to a year to complete, whereas the course will be done in a few months.
If you’re curious to know some schools that offer training programs, the table below has them.
Top 1 Schools in South Dakota
|Southeast Technical College||2320 N Career Ave, Sioux Falls, SD 57107|
We mentioned that the minimum age is 18, however, some programs accept students who are younger than that.
What’s more, you can even join a program online.
However, you’ll have to pay attention to the practice aspect, as it is a must.
This is a list of the subjects you’ll be studying:
- Heart anatomy
- Medical disease processes
- Medical terminology
- Anatomy of the chest wall for proper lead placement
EKG Technician Certification in South Dakota
Everyone who was successful in completing their training can sign up for the certification exam.
You can choose any of the next exams with national recognition::
- ASPT – Electrocardiograph (EKG) Technician exam
- NHA Certified EKG Technician exam
To sign up for the exam, you’ll need some papers.
The most important documents you’ll need to provide are:
- The application form you filled out
- The official school transcripts or certificate of completion from the program
- Some fees
The fees are to sign up and to take the test, and they could be paid to two different entities.
Once you get certified, you’ll need to keep the credential current.
The renewal process also involves a fee and an application form.
You could be asked to continue your education as well.
EKG Technician Employment and Salary in South Dakota
Now you can start applying for a job, feeling more confident.
These are the medical facilities in South Dakota searching for EKG techs:
- Physician’s offices
- Various other healthcare facilities
It’s easy to imagine that your work hours will be different based on where you get hired.
In any case, more hours, experience, and certifications mean you’ll earn more than your colleagues or other EKG techs in the state.
The next table shows the average salaries in South Dakota for this occupation.Annual Salary Range:
Average Salary of EKG Technicians in South Dakota
Additional Information for EKG Technicians in South Dakota
The American Society of EKG Technicians offers one of the best diplomas for these professionals.
On top of that, for $150 you also have access to the following:
- Full study guide
- Unlimited practice exams,
- 3 final certification exam attempts
- A professional resume revision
Becoming a Certified EKG Instructor (CEI)
With the certificate from the American Society of EKG Technicians in hand, you can also become an instructor.
You must accumulate at least 5 years of experience working as an EKG technician.
Your next step is to pass a background check, usually through your fingerprints.
If you qualify, you’ll earn the Certified EKG Instructor (CEI) title that allows you to work in a training school.