- Health Administration Degrees in Georgia
- Job Postings in Healthcare Administration in Georgia
- Possible Employers and Professional Resources for Health Administrators in Georgia
- Health Administration Salaries and Job Growth in Georgia
Health Administration Degrees in Georgia
Reaching a career in the field of healthcare administration and management has never been so easy, as there are so many educational institutions that offer both on-campus and online programs.
Earning a master’s or bachelor’s degree in healthcare administration will determine which kind of jobs can you apply for and get employment.
We would like to mention two educational institutions that are considered the most prominent and attractive in Georgia:
GEORGIA SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY (F/K/A ARMSTRONG STATE UNIVERSITY) – Don and Cindy Waters College of Health Professions – Armstrong
- Master of Health Administration (On Campus)
The estimated cost per academic year is $4164 for an in-state and $14,105 for an out of state resident.
The school is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education; Council on Education for Public Health.
GEORGIA STATE UNIVERSITY – Mack Robinson College of Business – Atlanta
- Master of Science in Health Administration-Accelerated (on-campus)
- Mater of Business Administration in Health Administration (on-campus)
- Master of Business Administration/Master of Science in Health Administration
- Master of Science in Health Administration/Juris Doctor
- Master of Business Administration/Master of Science in Health Administration/Juris Doctor
The estimated cost per academic year is $20,500 in state (MHA program); $23,000 out of state (MHA program); $8838 in state (MBA program); $23,400 out of state (MBA program).
The school is proud to be accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education; Council on Education for Public Health.
Getting an undergraduate degree in healthcare administration and management should be your starting point.
These programs of study usually consist of around 120-semester credits, that is, 60 general undergraduate requirements and 60 upper-division undergraduate courses.
The latter is related directly to healthcare administration and management.
Junior and senior-level courses cover key business and management concepts as they relate to the healthcare industry.
Undergraduate degrees available to healthcare administration majors in Georgia include:
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
- Bachelor of Health Administration (BHA)
The courses in the senior level include:
- Principles of management and marketing
- Analysis of financial statements
- Strategic planning and healthcare management
- Human resource management
- Business and administration leadership
- Business finance and healthcare economics
- Legal issues in the healthcare business environment
There are two graduate degree programs that stand out among the programs that meet generally accepted industry standards for education:
- Master of Healthcare Administration (MHA) – the program which focuses on important aspects and duties of healthcare administration
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Healthcare Administration or Management – which focuses on the business aspects of healthcare management or administration
Graduate degrees majors in Georgia also include:
- Master of Science in Healthcare Administration (MSHA)
- JD/MSHA dual degree programs
- Master of Health Administration (MHA) / MBA dual degree programs
Master’s programs in healthcare administration are also available to incoming students currently working in healthcare and they do not need to hold bachelor’s degrees in health administration.
You will need to meet the set requirements by each graduate school which may differ, but generally speaking, they are the following:
- Completion of specific course prerequisites
- Minimum undergraduate GPA
- Essay on career goals and motivations to earn a graduate degree in healthcare management or administration
- Letters of recommendation
- Official undergraduate transcripts showing completion of a bachelor’s degree in any field
- Several years of professional work experience
- Some programs require current employment in the healthcare industry
Core subjects covered during the graduate studies are:
- Strategy for the management of large healthcare organizations
- Global economics for healthcare managers
- Medical informatics
- Healthcare policy and law
- Quantitative methods for healthcare organizations
- Decision making data analysis
- Leadership and ethics
- Advanced financial management
- Compliance for accreditation
- Healthcare marketing
Graduate programs in healthcare administration and management consist of 36-60 semester credits and take between 18-24 months to complete.
Before graduation, a thesis or capstone research project is obligatory where students should show what they have learned throughout their graduate experience.
Georgia offer graduate degrees in healthcare administration and management in:
- Fort Gordon
Job Postings in Healthcare Administration in Georgia
The following job descriptions are examples of possible employment positions available in Georgia’s job marketplace and the education and experience requirements that applicants have to meet.
Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta – Practice Manager II – His/her duty will be to direct, supervise, and coach clinical and front office staff; a bachelor’s degree in healthcare administration, business administration, or equivalent is obligatory.
Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta – Business Operations Coordinator – He/she will coordinate the operational aspects of a specific department or business; at least a bachelor’s degree in healthcare, business, or a related field is necessary.
Memorial University Medical Center in Savannah – Practice Manager III – His/her job will be to provide expert assistance, management, and coordination for other administrative staff as well as physicians; applicants that have an MHA or MBA will be given priority.
Turning Point Hospital in Moultrie – Director of Business Development – He/she will provide oversight of budgeting, business development, and strategic planning; applicants should have an MHA or MBA.
Possible Employers and Professional Resources for Health Administrators in Georgia
Completing a relevant degree program is the first step, but then, you would like to find a satisfying job and prospective healthcare management and administration professionals can look for their employment in Georgia’s vibrant network of hospital systems and professional organizations.
Largest Employers of Healthcare Administrators and Managers
- Emory University Hospital in Atlanta
- University Hospital in Augusta
- Medical Center of Central Georgia in Macon
- Atlanta VA Medical Center
- Northside Hospital in Atlanta
- Kennestone Hospital in Marietta
- Northeast Georgia Medical Center in Gainesville
- VA Medical Center in Dublin
- Saint Joseph’s/Candler in Savannah
- Athens Regional Medical Center
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Georgia
- Kaiser Permanente GA
- Coventry Health Care of Georgia
- Grady Health System
- Georgia Chapter of the Healthcare Financial Management Association
- Georgia Medical Group Management Association
- Medical Association of Georgia
- Georgia Association of Healthcare Executives
- Georgia Health Information Management Association
- Health Care Administrators Association
- American Association of Healthcare Administrative Management
Health Administration Salaries and Job Growth in Georgia
When it comes to salary, there are wide variations throughout Georgia not just between rural and urban areas, but also between the lower ranges of medical administrators and the highest paying elite.
The median salary in Georgia is $112662, but those the most successful 10% health managers earn up to $127062.Annual Salary Range:
Average Salary of Healthcare Administrators in Georgia
Regional Salary in Georgia
|Region||Employed||Avg. Annual Salary||Avg. Hourly Pay||Top 10% Annual Salary||Bottom 10% Annual Salary|
|Athens-Clarke County, GA||200||$116,670||$56.09||$177,460||$55,000|
|Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell, GA||4,440||$138,570||$66.62||$215,200||$71,010|
|Augusta-Richmond County, GA-SC||730||$125,680||$60.42||$201,180||$63,500|
|Warner Robins, GA||100||$98,600||$47.4||$130,530||$53,280|
* Employment conditions in your area may vary.