There are many reasons why you should start thinking about getting a degree in health administration in Lousiana.
First, as a Louisiana resident, you can find attractive options when it comes to earning a degree.
Then, once you graduate, you can find a well-paid job in the state’s professional organizations and among the largest employers.
Last but not least, the state has an above-average rate of employment in the health care sector and the salaries are more than satisfactory.
Health Administration Degrees in Louisiana
People who belong to prospective students and working professionals in Louisiana will be glad to know that there are options when it comes to choosing an undergraduate or graduate degree in health administration.
These options are both programs available at campus locations and flexible online programs designed for busy working professionals.
The education of the highest quality is provided at the Tulane University – School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine in New Orleans
Students can enroll in Master of Health Administration (On Campus)
The estimated cost per academic year is $15,828 and the school is proud to be accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges; Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education; Council on Education for Public Health.
When Undergraduate Degrees in Health Administration are in question, bachelor’s degree options are available in Louisiana and future students can choose among these:
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) with a concentration in Health Administration
- Bachelor of Health Administration (BHA)
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Healthcare Administration
Future students of the bachelor’s degree program should know that it consists of 60-semester credits of general undergraduate coursework and 60-semester credits of upper-division courses.
They can expect to complete their entire program in four years.
During the second two years of undergraduate education, core major courses will cover subjects like:
- Healthcare organization management and marketing
- Human resource management
- Business and administration leadership
- Legal issues in the healthcare business environment
- Managerial economics
- Supply chain and operations management for healthcare organizations
Besides offered online options, bachelor’s degree programs can be found at campus locations in:
- New Orleans
In case you are a professional with experience in this field but you want to advance more, a graduate degree in health administration is what you should choose.
If you belong to in-state residents who are eager to pursue a graduate degree program, you can select from:
- Master of Healthcare Administration (MHA)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Health Administration
- MHA/MBA dual degree program
- Master of Science in Health Administration (MSHA)
- JD/MSHA dual degree program
- MSN/MBA dual degree program
Graduate Program Admission Criteria vary by institutions, but the majority of schools admit students who have earned their undergraduate degree in any field and who have completed prerequisite courses.
The enrollment requirements are set by each school staff and they may differ, but common admission standards include:
- Minimum undergraduate GPA
- Academic and professional personal essay
- Letters of recommendation
- Professional work experience
- Current employment in the healthcare industry
The graduate studies require more advanced curriculum, so important topics that will be covered throughout a graduate program include:
- Healthcare economics, policy, and law
- Quantitative methods for healthcare organizations
- Compliance for accreditation by national/international healthcare organizations
- Advanced healthcare management and administration
- Strategies for management of large healthcare organizations
- Global economics for healthcare managers
- Managing healthcare mergers and acquisitions
Graduate programs consist of 30-60 semester credits and are usually finished in 12-24 months. The completion of their program is possible only when the student writes a thesis paper or does a capstone research project.
Future graduate students can either attend online education or find relevant graduate programs located in the cities of:
- Baton Rouge
- New Orleans
- Lake Charles
Job Postings in Healthcare Administration in Louisiana
These are some of the job postings taken from Louisiana’s healthcare industry announcements.
Christus Health – Executive Director for Cardiovascular Services – this person will be responsible for responding to the business challenges so candidates must have an MHA or MBA.
Christus Health – Executive Director for the Cardiovascular Service Line in Lake Charles – His/her duty will be to direct and manage all business functions so applicants must have an MHA or MBA.
LHC Group in Lafayette – Compliance Auditor – He/she will need to ensure LHC Group programs in Lafayette adhere to federal and state guidelines; preferred applicants should have an MHA or MBA, or professional certification from American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA).
Franklin Foundation Hospital – Chief Executive Officer – This individual will be responsible for all daily operations, and applicants must have an MHA or MBA.
Ochsner Health System in Slidell – Director of Case Management – He/she has to ensure that the department adheres to high standards of customer satisfaction and long-term planning; eligible applicants must have a BSN, three years of management experience and an MHA.
Possible Employers and Professional Resources for Health Administrators in Louisiana
Largest Employers of Healthcare Administrators and Managers
- Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center in Baton Rouge
- Ochsner Medical Center in New Orleans
- Willis-Knighton Medical Center in Shreveport
- East Jefferson General Hospital in Metairie
- Christus Health Shreveport-Bossier
- Saint Francis Medical Center in Monroe
- American Legion Hospital in Crowley
- Alexandria VA Health System
- Southeast Louisiana Veterans Health Care System in New Orleans
- Overton Brooks VA Medical Center in Shreveport
- BlueCross BlueShield of Louisiana
- Coventry Health Care of Louisiana
- UnitedHealthcare of Louisiana
- Louisiana Chapter of the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society
- Louisiana Hospital Association
- Louisiana Health Information Management Association
- Louisiana Affiliate of the National Association of Healthcare Access Management
- Medical Group Management Association Louisiana
- Louisiana Society for Healthcare Facilities Management
- Louisiana Chapter of the Healthcare Financial Management Association
- Health Management Associates
- Health Care Administrators Association
- American Association of Healthcare Administrative Management
Health Administration Salaries and Job Growth in Louisiana
Louisiana healthcare administrators earn an average annual salary of $111556 according to Bureau of Labor Statistics data.
Furthermore, if you get a graduate degree and have the experience, you can earn about $125814 a year.
What is more important for new administrators, the Louisiana Department of Labor Workforce Commission estimates that positions for healthcare administrators will grow at a 14.5 percent rate in the years to come.Annual Salary Range:
Average Salary of Healthcare Administrators in Louisiana