There are educational opportunities in South Carolina for both new students and experienced professionals.
When it comes to earning an undergraduate or graduate degree in health administration, they can either choose online opportunities as well as programs located on college campuses.
- Health Administration Degrees in South Carolina
- Job Postings in Healthcare Administration in South Carolina
- Possible Employers and Professional Resources for Health Administrators in South Carolina
- Health Administration Salaries and Job Growth in South Carolina
Health Administration Degrees in South Carolina
Two most prominent and well-known institutions that offer amazing health administration programs in South Carolina are the following:
- MEDICAL UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA – College of Health Professions – Charleston
- Master of Health Administration- Executive (On Campus)
- Master of Health Administration- Residential (On Campus)
The estimated cost per academic year is $17,050 for in-state residents and $18,800 for out of state ones.
The school is proud to be accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges; Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education.
- THE UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA – Arnold School of Public Health – Columbia
- Master of Health Administration (On Campus)
- Master of Health Administration-Professional Format (On Campus)
- Master of Health Administration/Juris Doctorate
The estimated cost per academic year is $13,254 for in-state and $28,368 for out of state residents.
The school is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges; Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education.
If a bachelor’s degree program is the one that you want to enroll in, you should know that it consists of at least 120-semester credits and takes around four years to complete.
The first two years are devoted to completing undergraduate requirements and prerequisite courses for the major.
Students can prepare for entry-level careers in healthcare administration by completing relevant undergraduate degree programs such as:
- Bachelor of Health Administration (BHA)
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Healthcare Administration
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Health Services Administration
The second 60 credits of these programs can be earned by attending upper-division courses that focus on topics like:
- Healthcare resources, consumers, and payers
- Principles of management, leadership, accounting, and advertising
- Legal issues in the healthcare business environment
- Health care informatics
- Healthcare economics
- Managerial economics
- Operations and supply chain management
- Organizations and information systems
Prospective students can find relevant programs in cities:
Relevant graduate degree programs include:
- Master of Healthcare Administration (MHA)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Healthcare Management or Administration
- MHA/MBA dual degree program
- Master of Science in Healthcare Administration (MSHA)
- MSN/MBA dual degree program
- JD/MSHA dual degree program
Every school has its own admission requirements, programs will often admit students who have earned their undergraduate degree in any subject.
Graduate programs take 12-24 months to be completed and consist of 30-60 semester credits.
Before graduation, students have to complete a capstone project or thesis paper that focuses on a specific element within healthcare.
Other common admission standards for enrollment into graduate education include:
- Completion of course prerequisites
- Minimum undergraduate GPA
- Personal essay regarding academic or career goals
- Letters of recommendation
- Several years of professional work experience
- Some programs require current employment in the healthcare industry
The core coursework that the graduate program students will need to attend consist of topics such as:
- Advanced healthcare policy and law
- Quantitative methods for assessing healthcare organizations
- Decision making based on data and statistics
- Strategy for the management of large healthcare organizations
- Global economics for healthcare managers
- Medical informatics
- Financial management for healthcare organizations
Prospective students can find graduate programs in cities like:
- Rock Hill
Job Postings in Healthcare Administration in South Carolina
Once you become a graduate who has earned a degree in the field of healthcare administration, you can apply for employment opportunities throughout the state and the following job descriptions will give you a sense of what South Carolina’s professional marketplace is like.
Tideland Health – Service Line Director for Oncology Services in Georgetown – he/she will be in charge of providing administrative leadership and candidates must have an MHA, MBA, or MSN to be considered eligible for this position.
Lean Facilitator for Physician Practice in Murrells Inlet – this person will be responsible for leading and facilitating staff events and projects that systematically improve efficiency, so he/she must possess at least a bachelor’s degree in healthcare administration, organizational development, nursing, or a related field.
Abbeville Area Medical Center – Chief Executive Officer – applicants must have an MHA or MBA.
Bon Secours Health System in Greenville – Central Business Office Director – This individual will provide leadership and oversee managerial financial decisions, so a preferred candidate should hold an MHA or MBA, and may substitute related work experience for a masters-level education.
Lexington Medical Center in West Columbia – Office Manager – The patient care environment efficiency, and safety will be one of his/her duties; applicants must have a bachelor’s degree in the field of healthcare administration or healthcare management so as to be considered appropriate for this job.
Possible Employers and Professional Resources for Health Administrators in South Carolina
Largest Employers of Healthcare Administrators and Managers
- The Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston
- Spartanburg Regional Medical Center
- McLeod Health in Florence
- Carolina Hospital in Florence
- Roper Hospital in Charleston
- AnMed Health in Anderson
- Bon Secours Saint Francis in Greenville and Charleston
- Conway Medical Center
- Aiken Regional Medical Center
- Beaufort Memorial Hospital
- Grand Strand Regional Medical Center in Myrtle Beach
- Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center in Charleston
- Coventry Health Care of the Carolinas
- BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina
- South Carolina Chapter of the American College of Healthcare Executives
- South Carolina Medical Group Management Association
- South Carolina Association of Healthcare Access Management
- Healthcare Technology Management Association of South Carolina
- South Carolina Hospital Association
- South Carolina Chapter of the Healthcare Financial Management Association
- Health Management Associates
- Health Care Administrators Association
- American Association of Healthcare Administrative Management
Health Administration Salaries and Job Growth in South Carolina
The growth in the state’s healthcare system has resulted in strong job projections for healthcare administrators and it is expected that this profession will experience a 24.6% growth between 2016 and 2026.
Healthcare administrators in South Carolina earn salaries ranging from $97270 to $122925.
Those individuals whose job is more demanding and who have higher responsibility will be earning higher wages.
In South Carolina, the median salary for healthcare administrators is $108994.Annual Salary Range:
Average Salary of Healthcare Administrators in South Carolina
|Hilton Head Island||$108,147|
Regional Salary in South Carolina
|Region||Employed||Avg. Annual Salary||Avg. Hourly Pay||Top 10% Annual Salary||Bottom 10% Annual Salary|
|Charleston-North Charleston, SC||1,430||$114,980||$55.28||$187,270||$61,500|
|Hilton Head Island-Bluffton-Beaufort, SC||300||$116,840||$56.17||$182,200||$60,570|
|Myrtle Beach-Conway-North Myrtle Beach, SC-NC||450||$115,990||$55.77||$172,680||$61,370|
* Employment conditions in your area may vary.