Reaching the end of your medical assisting education program is the right moment to start thinking about entering an externship.
If you do not know how to get a medical assistant externship, we are here to help you.
It is important to choose the right one, as they are designed to offer medical assistants a great experience upon graduation, and the more skills you gain during this externship, the more attractive you will be to your future employers.
You are certainly familiar with the fact that a successful externship leads to your next job, meaning that you will need to pass this unpaid training which takes from 6-12 weeks to be finished in most cases and you can then get the employment.
Excellent medical assistant externship can be found through schools that offer relevant programs, job fairs, associations, or by contacting medical facilities.
List of Medical Assistant Externship Tips To Finish Your Training
- Treat it like a job search – When looking for a job, you research everything you can about the facility, the employer, and the job itself. The same should be done when looking for an externship is in question. You should go through all the options and choose the top ones. Then, you should compare and contrast them, ask as many questions as possible about your role and whatever may interest you.
- Be ready for the interview – Another similarity with job search and externship search is that you may be asked to go through an interview. So as to be well prepared for it, you should read through the list of medical assistant externship interview questions. The more you practice your answers, the more prepared you will be.
- Shop around – You should also go around your neighborhood or area you live in and look for medical facilities that may offer externship opportunities. It is good to compare as many options as possible before making your decision and if there is little physician’s office in your area, you should try your luck there. You never know where a job is waiting for you.
- Conduct research – You should take advantage of the Internet and all the resources it has, so as to do your externship search well. We suggest that you do a search for every facility you find interesting. If it is one that suits your needs, then you should look for reviews or find comments about it. There must be someone who had experience with that specific facility. You can also speak with someone in human resources who can provide you with direct answers to all your questions. It is worth mentioning that medical assisting externship resources online are numerous.
- Keep your mind open – Even though you have everything already planned, what you want to do and where, as well as how much money you want to make, it is significant to know that situations are not always as we plan them. So, you should have an open mind and keep your options open when looking for an externship, as well as a future job.
Now, if you applied all the tips and have chosen your CMA externship, it is the right time to show your skills to prospective employers.
You should also take it as an opportunity to continue learning, being that the only way to become a professional is by observing what more experienced people do and taking notes on how you should deliver care to patients.
Medical assisting externship sites will evaluate your performance halfway through and near the end of your time at the facility.
Be positive and flexible during your externship due to the fact that employers are looking for more than just professional skills.