A pharmacy technician works in the healthcare industry next to a licensed pharmacist.
They help pharmacists with patient care and perform pharmacy-related functions.
They are responsible for locating a prescribed medication, and will then proceed to packing and labeling it for the patient.
Before the package reaches the patient, the pharmacist checks to make sure that all is in order.
- Licensing Requirements to Become a Pharmacy Technician in Maryland
- Pharmacy Technician Schools in Maryland
- Pharmacy Technician Salary in Maryland
- Frequently Asked Questions
Licensing Requirements to Become a Pharmacy Technician in Maryland
The Maryland State Board of Pharmacy prescribes two paths to certification for prospective pharmacy technicians:
- Complete 160 hours of on-the-job training. This approach does not require that the candidate sit for the national examination.
- Candidates must attend and successfully complete an accredited pharmacy tech course prior to sitting for the PTCB or ExCPT exams.
All candidates who wish to work in the medical field, in Maryland, as a pharmacy technician, are required to be licensed and registered with the Maryland Board of Pharmacy.
In order to qualify for licensing, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Be older than 17 years of age.
- Candidates must be in possession of a high school diploma or GED.
- Complete 160 hours of training or pass the national examination (18 months to complete the examination).
- Pass a background check.
- Pay the non-refundable application fee for licensure, which is $45.
- To maintain good standing, candidates must pay the annual renewal fee of $45.
- Candidates must complete a set number of training hours with every renewal to maintain their good standing. The first renewal will require a total of 10 additional training hours, and every renewal thereafter will require 20 additional hours of training.
Pharmacy Technician Schools in Maryland
The following programs are approved pharmacy technician programs:
1. Allegany College of Maryland
Allegany College of Maryland offers a Pharmacy Technician Certificate program that may be completed in one or two semesters.
The program is recognized by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) and the examination is approved by the Maryland Board of Pharmacy.
The affordable program offers high-quality instruction and prepares students for entry-level positions through a combination of classroom instruction and skills lab training in the college lab’s prescription-filling software.
In addition, students are required to complete a 180-hour internship at a local pharmacy under the supervision of a pharmacist.
The estimated cost of tuition and fees for 30 credits per year is $4,912 for in-county students, $8,902 for out-of-county students, and $11,242 for out-of-state students.
2. Ashworth College
Ashworth College offers an online Pharmacy Technician Diploma course.
The program prepares students to sit for any one of the following examinations:
- The National Healthcareer Association’s (NHA’s) ExCPT Pharmacy Technician certification examination
- The Pharmacy Technician Certification Board’s (PTCB’s) Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE)
Students learn about the fundamentals of this position as well as acquire the skills required to master this job.
The program is self-paced and the program covers a range of courses, including the following:
- Introduction to Pharmacy
- Drug Classification and Pharmaceutical Calculations
- Laboratory Simulation and Certification Preparation
Students are expected to complete a 160-hour externship through affiliate pharmacies such as Walgreens and CVS pharmacy.
Or, alternatively, arrange their own externship at a local pharmacy.
Tuition for this course is $1,099 when paid in full or $1,299 when paid in installments.
3. College of Southern Maryland
The College of Southern Maryland offers a certificate program, in candidacy through ASHP/ACPE, for candidates who wish to pursue a career as a pharmacy technician.
The program prepares students for certification through:
- The National Pharmacy Technician Certification Examination (PTCE), or,
- The Examination for Certification of Pharmacy Technicians (ExCPT)
This 27-hour credit course may be completed in two semesters and includes a 200-hour summer practicum.
Students will learn about human physiology and anatomy, medical terminology, pharmaceutical calculations, and ethical issues for healthcare professionals, among other courses.
The tuition for this course is approximately $5,200 plus an additional $500 for books and other fees.
4. Global Technical Institute
Global Technical Institute offers a Pharmacy Technician Diploma program of 1,020 credit hours which spans over 51 weeks.
Students are required to complete a 180-hour externship in order to graduate from the program.
Certification is not required to graduate from this program.
The program teaches students the basic aspects of this role, such as reading, packing, and distributing prescribed medication.
Students learn about all relevant and required practices and procedures in the field.
The school also offers job assistance to all graduates.
Tuition and fees for this program are $9,790.00.
5. Hagerstown Community College
Hagerstown Community College offers a 28-credit Pharmacy Technician Certificate program.
Completion of the program prepares students to sit for the National Pharmacy Technician Certification Examination.
Students cover a range of courses in this program, including:
- Medical Terminology
- Pharmacology and Therapeutics
- Professionalism in the Workplace
- Dispensing and Compounding Applications
- Introduction to Information Technology
Washington county residents pay $106.00 per credit, out-of-county students pay $166.00 per credit, and out-of-state students pay $218.00 per credit.
Pharmacy Technician Schools in Maryland – Summary Table
Top 5 Schools in Maryland
|Allegany College of Maryland||12401 Willowbrook Rd, Cumberland, MD 21502|
|Ashworth College||5051 Peachtree Corners Cir #200, Norcross, GA 30092|
|College of Southern Maryland||8730 Mitchell Rd, La Plata, MD 20646|
|Global Technical Institute||1830 NW 7th St #200, Miami, FL 33125|
|Hagerstown Community College||11400 Robinwood Dr, Hagerstown, MD 21742|
Pharmacy Technician Salary in Maryland
In this field, in Maryland, candidates may start out with an entry-level salary.
As the candidate progresses in their field and gains more skills and knowledge, their salary may be appropriately adjusted.
The following three yearly salary bands are available in the state of Maryland:
- Entry Level – $31,331
- Mid Career – $38,400
- Experienced – $46,997
Average Salary of Pharmacy Technicians in Maryland
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the average hourly rate for this position in Maryland?
The average hourly rate for a pharmacy technician in Maryland is $15.24/hr.
Is there a demand for pharmacy technicians in Maryland?
Yes, there is a constant demand for various jobs in the healthcare industry.
How much do pharmacy techs earn at CV in Maryland?
Approximately $16.94 as of 2022.