A sterile processing technician serves as an important part of a healthcare team.
They clean, assemble, and sterilize medical instruments for the surgery setting and various medical equipment used in other areas within the healthcare setting.
If you’re interested in entering this rewarding career field, the following is a guide to assist you.
- Steps to Become a Sterile Processing Technician in South Dakota
- Sterile Processing Technician Schools in South Dakota
- Sterile Processing Technician Schools in South Dakota – Summary Table
- Salary for Sterile Processing Technicians in South Dakota
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Are you required to have a license in order to work as a sterile processing technician in South Dakota?
- What are the highest-paying cities in South Dakota for sterile processing technicians?
- Are sterile processing technician jobs on the rise in South Dakota?
- What are related fields you can work in when you get a sterile processing technician degree/certificate?
Steps to Become a Sterile Processing Technician in South Dakota
- First, you must complete high school or get an equivalent to the diploma. While you’re in high school, it’s a good idea to take science courses such as chemistry, biology, and medicine if training is available at that level.
- Select a program for sterile processing technicians. There are many that are available, whether this is in a classroom setting, online, or as a hybrid training program. Make sure that the school you choose has been officially accredited by a reputable association or board.
- Talk to an adviser about what you would like to do and what is expected in the program(s) you’re thinking about. They can give you advice and help you in getting financial aid set up.
- Enter into a training program that suits your career goals. It should offer a variety of courses that will prepare you for gainful employment once you complete the program.
- Take an internship/externship in order to get hands-on training in this field.
- Get ready and take a certification exam. Your courses and internship should get you ready to do this.
- Continuing education as you go along to help you advance in your career is a definite must. There are somewhat frequent changes to the technology and methods used in this field.
Sterile Processing Technician Schools in South Dakota
Western Dakota Technical College
This goes a step beyond the average sterile processing technician program, as it also includes surgical technology applications.
Just a few of the courses you’ll have to take include Anatomy & Physiology for Health Professions, Medical Terminology, Medical Law & Ethics, Surgical Procedures, and a few General Education courses, among some other technical requirements over an 18-month span for 60 credit hours.
Reach out to the school for more information. Call 605-718-2400 to talk to a representative and visit the website – Surgical Technology Degree | Health Science Program | Western Dakota Technical College (wdt.edu).
This online-based training program prepares you to work as a sterile processing technician.
It’s a self-paced program in which you’ll take courses such as medical terminology, bloodborne pathogens, and how to conduct proper aseptic techniques.
Once you graduate, you’ll be able to take the Certified Registered Central Service Technician exam.
They keep tuition costs low and you may be eligible for a payment plan.
Reach out by calling 800-851-1819 or visiting the website (Health Care Programs | Penn Foster) and talking to a representative.
Sterile Processing Technician Schools in South Dakota – Summary Table
Top 2 Schools in South Dakota
|Western Dakota Technical College||800 Mickelson Dr, Rapid City, SD 57703, USA|
|Penn Foster||925 Oak St, Scranton, PA 18515, United States|
Salary for Sterile Processing Technicians in South Dakota
The average base pay for someone working within the sterile processing technician career field in South Dakota is $39,283 per year.Annual Salary Range:
Average Salary of Sterile Processing Technicians in South Dakota
Frequently Asked Questions
Are you required to have a license in order to work as a sterile processing technician in South Dakota?
No, you don’t need to get a license to gain employment as a sterile processing technician in this state.
You will need to adhere to the proper procedures and some strict guidelines.
What are the highest-paying cities in South Dakota for sterile processing technicians?
A few of the highest-paying cities for sterile processing technician professionals in this state include Sioux Falls, Watertown, Pierre, Rapid City, Brookings, and Aberdeen.
Are sterile processing technician jobs on the rise in South Dakota?
You’ll be pleased to know that this career field is definitely on the rise in South Dakota.
There’s a 12.5 percent growth that’s been predicted for the next decade.
The fields or positions in which you can work in South Dakota after getting a sterile processing technician certificate or degree are Sterile Supply Processing Technician, Central Sterile Processing Technician, Sterile Processing Room Technician, and Lead Sterile Processing Technician.