There are many job prospects for those who want to become vet assistants in New York.
So, if you enjoy being around animals, you can get certified and work in the industry.
Maybe you first need some info about it, so check out the below guide.
- Veterinary Assistant Employment and Job Duties in New York
- Becoming Certified as a Vet Assistant in New York
- Salary Information for a Veterinary Assistant in New York
- Additional information about vet assistants in New York
Veterinary Assistant Employment and Job Duties in New York
You can start your job search in an animal facility, which include:
- Pet clinics and hospitals
- Animal rescue facilities,
- Animal shelters
- Educational institutions
The main job responsibilities you will need to finish daily include:
- Communicating with clients
- Making appointments
- Request records requests from other vets
- Inventory control
- Cleaning vet gear
- Sanitizing animal cages
- Operation room cleaning
- Help with filling prescriptions
- Prepping exam and operating spaces
- Keeping records updated
- Pay attention to the dietary needs of pets
- Make sure the animals get enough exercise
You can volunteer first if you think you should get more experience with animals.
You can also check the websites of the organizations below:
- New York Veterinary Technician Association
- Big Sky Veterinary Technician Association
- National Association of Veterinary Technicians in America (NAVTA)
- Veterinary Career Network
- Vet Tech Life
- Where Techs Connect
Becoming Certified as a Vet Assistant in New York
In New York, you can find employment once you get a high school diploma or a GED.
The easiest way to learn what you need to do on the job is to attend a training program.
Finishing the program allows you to get an AVA (Approved Veterinary Assistant) certification.
The vet assistant certification is offered by the NAVTA.
The program of your choice should be accredited by the NAVTA as well.
In addition, you can choose a specialization such as:
- Dental Technician
- Internal Medicine
- Emergency and Critical Care
- Behavior Technician
- Zoological Medicine
- Clinical Practice
- Clinical Pathology
You can either attend a program online or one in person.
Some of the topics you will attend in class are:
- How to identify different breeds
- Animal anatomy
- The best ways to administer meds
- How to administer post-operative care
- Handling various breeds of animals
- Medical terminology
- Handling chemicals
You will attend a combination of theory and lab hours during your training.
The schools where you can train in New York are listed below.
Top 3 Schools in New York
|Suffolk County Community College||533 College Rd.Selden, New York 11784-2899|
|Ulster County Community College||491 Cottekill Rd,Stone Ridge, New York 12484|
|Wayne Technical and Career Center||4440 Ridge Road Williamson, NY 14589|
If you are already working as a vet assistant, you can get a certification as an experiential learner.
For this, you must work at least 20 hours a week in a vet facility.
Vet assistant training programs in New York last for a few months and put to 2 years.
The lengthier programs finish in a B.S. in Veterinary Technology or an Associate’s Degree in Veterinary Technology.
Before getting your license, you also have to pass an exam that will assess your skills.
The required test is the VTNE (Veterinary Technician National Examination).
This exam is provided by the American Association of Veterinary State Boards (AAVSB).
To attend the exam, you have to make an appointment first.
The exam features the following subjects:
- Emergency Medicine/Critical Care
- Pain Management/Analgesia
- Diagnostic Imaging
- Surgical Nursing
- Pharmacy and Pharmacology
- Laboratory Procedures
- Animal Care and Nursing
The Vet assistant license has to be renewed after 2 years have passed.
In order to get a new one, you will need to attend additional education classes and pay another fee.
If you meet the criteria, your certification will be mailed to you shortly.
Salary Information for a Veterinary Assistant in New York
Vet assistants in the State of New York have a salary of $33,478 per year.
You can always get a higher salary if you have a specialization, or live in a big city like New York City.Annual Salary Range:
Average Salary of Veterinary Assistants in New York
Regional Salary in New York
|Region||Employed||Avg. Annual Salary||Avg. Hourly Pay||Top 10% Annual Salary||Bottom 10% Annual Salary|
|Buffalo-Cheektowaga-Niagara Falls, NY||310||$35,340||$16.99||$43,670||$29,550|
|Ithaca, NY||160||- NA -||- NA -||- NA -||- NA -|
|New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA||3,790||$41,170||$19.8||$50,600||$30,940|
* Employment conditions in your area may vary.
Additional information about vet assistants in New York
As long as you select a training program that fits your needs, you will be able to enjoy a long and stable career as a vet assistant.